ADU & Housing Resources
Papers & reports
- Karen Chapple, et al., “Reaching California’s ADU Potential: Progress to Date and the Need for ADU Finance,” UC Berkeley, August 2020.
- AARP, “The ABCs of ADUs,” 2019.
- California Department of Housing & Community Development, “Accessory Dwelling Handbook,” updated Dec. 2020.
- Casita Coalition, “ADU Finance Guide for Homeowners,” March 18, 2021.
- AARP, “Accessory Dwelling Units–A Step by Step Guide to Design & Development,” 2019.
Webinars (Note: These are links to webinars on other websites).
- “Affordable Housing in Santa Cruz” (2019).
- “ADU Webinar with Appraisal Info” (2020):
- “New ADU Legislation in California: What Homeowners Need to Know About Granny Flat Law Changes” (2019).
- “How to Design an ADU” (2019).
- “ADU Financing & Appraisals” (2019).
- “ADU 101-Pre-Planning, Design, and Permitting” (2019).
- “Reaching California’s ADU Potential” (Sept. 2020)
- “Casita Coalition 2021 ADU Best Practices Webinar Series: Spotlight on Napa & Sonoma Counties” (Feb. 2021).
- Napa Sonoma ADU
- Casita Coalition
- Backyard Homes in San Jose
- Second Unit Resources Center
- Home for All
- Hello Housing/Midpen Housing
- Accessory Dwellings
- Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) and Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs)
- Accessory Dwelling Units
- Heart of San Mateo County Accessory Dwelling Units
- What is an ADU: Accessory Dwelling Units explained
Articles, publications & books
- Granny Flat Startup Rakes In New Funding As Housing Shortage Worsens
- Santa Cruz Accessory Dwelling Unit Manual
- Jake Wegmann & Karen Chapple, (2014) “Hidden density in single family neighborhoods: backyard cottages as an equitable smart growth strategy,” Journal of Urbanism: International Research on Placemaking and Urban Sustainability, 7:3 (2014): 307-329.
- Karen Chapple, et al., “A Solution on the Ground: Assessing the Feasibility of Second Units in Unincorporated San Mateo County,” UC Berkeley Center for Community Innovation, 2017.
City & State Agencies
- State of California Housing & Community Development
- City of Santa Cruz Accessory Dwelling Units
- Santa Cruz County Accessory Dwelling Units
- San Francisco Planning Dept. Accessory Dwelling Units
- San Jose Planning Dept. Accessory Dwelling Units
- City of San Mateo Accessory Dwelling Units
- Santa Clara County Accessory Dwelling Units
- City of Cupertino ADU Programs & Resources
Designers, builder, manufacturers
- United Dwelling
- Plus Hus
- US Modular
- Macy Homes
- Santa Cruz Construction Guild
- Green Galaxy Builders
- ADU Now.House
- Rent the Backyard
- Santa Cruz County Accessory Dwelling Unit Cost & Financing Guide
- Housable: How to Finance an ADU
- Konhoff Company, “The 2019 Homeowner’s Guide to Building an ADU in California & Financing it the Easy Way.”
- Kol Peterson, Building an ADU, “ADUs from an Investor’s Perspective“
Law & Regulation
While California state regulations now govern many aspects of ADU construction, individual cities continue to impose individual requirements. Look up “ADU regulation” for your particular city or county.
- Deirdre Pfeiffer, “Regulating ADUs in California: Local Approaches & Outcomes,” UC Berkeley Terner Center for Housing Innovation, May 2019.
- Derek Leavitt, “The 12 Most Critical 2020 ADU Rule Changes for California”